1/20/2009

I Love BSG

I love it for the same reason I love Gattaca, for the same reason I love Ender's Game, For the same reason I love the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, Evangelion, "At the Mountains of Madness," Stranger in a Strange Land and for the same reason I re-read Frank Herbert's Dune every other year. I love it because it explores the greater themes of the human experience, because it asks the difficult questions about the universe around us, because it is challenging emotionally and intellectually, because simply, it's a substantial literary work and not just a work of science fiction.

Battlestar Galactica, though forces me to ask a question that none of my other favorites do.

Where does all the whiskey come from?

Seriously, in every single episode of BSG someone takes slugs from an octagonal bottle full of brown liquid. Virtually every character on the show, at one time or another, has been seen getting sloshed on this stuff. Twelve planets have been nuked into inhospitablity. The sum total of the human race is less than fifty thousand souls. There is virtually no means to find or exploit new resources and yet there are still cases and cases of whiskey to go around.

Someone, please, tell me, where can I get some of the Infinite Space Whiskey[TM]? I want some and I want to know where it comes from.


submit to reddit

No comments: